The KAY3D CoreXY machines are built a little differently as compared to the other CoreXY machines.
Not because we're built on the Ender 3/ 3-Pro but because we have a few neat features embedded in all our firmware versions across the different natively supported boards.
No, we're not talking about the thermal runaway protection etc and yes we have those.
One of our neat features is the unique 'blob-protection' that prevents a blob of filament from being created on your heated bed's surface. If the heated bed is too close to the nozzle while it's heating up before the actual 3D printing movement happens, a blob of filament can happen.
While a blob of filament wouldn't cause much damage to your heated bed, a nozzle that is excessively close to your heated bed for prolonged heating durations can permanently damage your heated bed's printing surface. We're sure you don't want that to happen.
Blob-protection is a feature built upon Marlin's innate features and automatically executed after an auto home or G28 command.
But with such a feature, there's a small additional step that you need to do when you do have a need to manually level your bed. If you have an auto bed leveling sensor such as a Bltouch, a fixed mount probe such as a capacitive sensor, you can ignore this section since these sensors compensate for the flatness irregularities on any printing surface. i.e. no manual bed leveling required.
These are steps that you need to do before you can level your bed with KAY3D firmwares:
1. Click once on the knob of your machine and click on 'Motion'.
2. Now click on "Auto Home". Now your machine will home all the Axis simultaneously. That means all of them will be moving together.
3. Once the machine has homed and stopped all axis movement, click on knob of the machine again and choose 'Motion'.
4. Next, click on "Move Axis".
5. Followed by "Move Z".
6. Next, click on "Move 1mm".
7. Your Z Axis's height should be 5mm. Please double check your installed firmware if it's not 5mm.
8. Turn the knob anti-clockwise to reduce Z to +000.0. This essentially sets your new Z height to Z=0
9. You're all done! Now that Z = 0, you can level your bed using any of the online guides. Remember, you only need to do this everytime you want to manually level your bed! You don't have to do it all the time before you start 3D Printing!
If you need a video guide on bed leveling, we really recommend this video right here: